Saturday, April 14, 2012

Peeling Chestnuts / Mindful Parenting Magazine

[P]eeling chestnuts has unlooked-for gifts. Ours come from a friend’s place in Gembrook. As I sit in my inner-city kitchen, peeling and listening to the traffic, I recall the gently rolling fields, the way the chestnut trees are tucked into a valley below a slope of proteas. I remember picnics under their dappled shade, and relive the stroll across a meadow to persimmons aflame with colour. Our neighbourhood may be dominated by traffic, but the glossy brown nuts, so smooth in my hand, remind me of a quieter landscape. Memories of trees and green shadows descend.

***

To read more, follow the link and flick to page 60, or click on the embedded magazine below - and don't miss the other fantastic articles on mindfulness, creativity, and children!

If you feel inspired to cook with chestnuts, check out my recipes here.

No comments:

Post a Comment